Download Arming the Confederacy: How Virginia’s Minerals Forged the by Robert C. Whisonant PDF
By Robert C. Whisonant
This is a clean examine the yank Civil battle from the perspective of the common assets essential to hold the armies within the box. This tale of the hyperlinks among minerals, topography, and the conflict in western Virginia now involves gentle in a manner that boosts our knowing of America’s maximum trial. 5 mineral items – niter, lead, salt, iron, and coal – have been totally necessary to salary conflict within the 1860s. For the armies of the South, these assets have been targeted within the distant Appalachian highlands of southwestern Virginia. From the start of the warfare, the Union knew that the main to victory used to be the destruction or profession of the mines, furnaces, and forges situated there, in addition to the railroad that moved the assets to the place they have been desperately wanted. to accomplish this, Federal forces again and again complicated into the treacherous mountainous terrain to struggle essentially the most savage battles of the warfare.
Read or Download Arming the Confederacy: How Virginia’s Minerals Forged the Rebel War Machine PDF
Best nature & ecology books
* Explains the geologic traditional background of the North Cascades* Appeals to hikers who're serious about the quarter, in addition to beginner geologists* Authors are either geologists with the U.S. Geological SurveyComposed of every little thing from volcanic island arcs and deep ocean sediments, to components of previous continents or even items of the deep subcrustal mantle of the earth, Washington's North Cascade quarter is a real geologic mosaic.
Air has continually been necessary to existence, from the atmospheric composition that gave existence to the forests and immense bugs of the Carboniferous age a few three hundred million years in the past to the air that fuels crucial applied sciences this day. we're immersed in an excellent ocean of air; from inner combustion and jet engines to fashionable towns with man made climates, air is extraordinary since it is so frequent and even as so intimate.
Fish nutrients should be the determining issue among a powerful and fit farmed fish inhabitants and occasional aquaculture construction. In an age the place chemical compounds and antibiotics are below better scrutiny than ever, a robust realizing of the position of nutrition and feed ingredients is key within the aquaculture undefined.
A technological know-how journalist's trip alongside the Pacific Coast from California to Alaska to trace the prestige, future health, conduct, character, and viability of sea otters--the attractive species precise to this beach that was once hunted to close extinction within the 18th and nineteenth centuries. those cute, bushy marine mammals--often obvious floating on their backs maintaining hands--reveal the future health of the coastal atmosphere alongside the Pacific Ocean.
- Der Hund und sein Philosoph: Plädoyer für Autonomie und Tierrechte (German Edition)
- Sea Turtles Up Close
- Making Collaboration Work: Lessons From Innovation In Natural Resource Managment: Lessons from Innovation in Natural Resource Management
- Whaling on Long Island (Images of America)
- Water from Stone: The Story of Selah, Bamberger Ranch Preserve (Louise Lindsey Merrick Natural Environment Series)
Additional resources for Arming the Confederacy: How Virginia’s Minerals Forged the Rebel War Machine